Recently, here on my blog, I talked about various ways you can create an eco friendly environment in your Lake Nacimiento home. Being conscious of our beautiful surroundings and doing your best to “go green” in your Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch home is a great way to be involved in keeping Lake Nacimiento well maintained.
As we get ready for Thanksgiving next week, you’re probably preparing to have friends and family over for a large feast! This is a great time of year to gather with loved ones and be reminded of all the things we’re thankful for in our lives. But, did you know that you can make eco-friendly choices and do good for the environment while hosting your holiday parties? Here are a few creative ways to make sure you’re throwing a “green” party in your eco-friendly Lake Nacimiento home! Your friends and family will appreciate your conscious effort to help maintain our naturally beautiful backdrop here on Lake Nacimiento.
1. Buy Local- Shopping locally from farmers and other various growers for ingredients for your holiday party (or any time!) is a great way to cut down on our carbon footprint as well as help support sustainable growing around Lake Nacimiento and surrounding areas.
2. Reusable Towels- When cleaning up after your holiday party; be sure to use reusable towels instead of paper towels. Microfiber towels will hold on to dust, dirt and food particles since the fibers act like a magnet. After cleanup, throw them in the wash and you’ll be able to reuse them over and over!
3. Switch to Convection- Now, we don’t expect that you’ll run out and buy a new oven before your holiday party, but this is something to consider for the very near future! Switch from a conventional oven to a convection oven. The difference? A convection oven continually circulates heated air, which means food cooks more quickly and reduces energy usage by 20%! Imagine being able to prepare food faster and save on energy- all from one appliance!
4. Cloth Napkins- These “things of the past” are making a comeback! The average American will use around 2,200 paper napkins per year- which are never recycled! Using cloth napkins will cut down drastically on waste and will make any event feel more special.
5. Chill Out- Be sure to put a pitcher of water in your fridge at least an hour before your party to ensure it’s completely chilled. Those that prefer water won’t have to stand at your sink and let the water run until it gets cold. The average kitchen faucet flows at a gallon per minute! Thinking ahead can help to chill water before will reduce the waste that a running faucet will produce!
6. Nix the Microwave- As much as possible, reheat or cook items in the oven or on the stove. Certain plastics can produce harmful fumes when put in the microwave and, while not overtly harmful, microwaves do leak radiation. It’s just better for your health and for the environment to use other options as often as you can!
7. Glass Containers- Storing leftovers or dried foods in glass containers with lids are much safer than the plastic alternative. When heated, certain plastics can break down and put chemicals into your food. Learn more about harmful and safe plastics.
8. No-Cook Dishes- Save energy and give your oven a rest by preparing dishes that don’t have to be cooked. Think: salads, fruit dishes, veggie dips, yogurts and much more! You’ll find yourself being more creative and spending less time in the kitchen!
9. Fill the Dishwasher- To avoid wasting water and energy, be sure to have a full load each time you use your dishwasher. Surprisingly, new energy efficient dishwasher can be more eco-friendly than washing dishes by hand! Be sure to air dry and skip the pre-rinse cycle as most newer models are effective enough to get your dishes clean without the added step!
I hope these tips provide you with the inspiration needed to take your holiday parties to the next level! You’ll feel better knowing that, while you celebrate the season, you’re also celebrating the beauty and health of Lake Nacimiento! Every little bit makes a difference!
As always, if you’re looking to buy a home on Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch or have found that you need to sell your Lake Nacimiento home; please let me know! I would happy to walk with you through the home buying or selling process to ensure it’s a smooth and stress free experience.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Your Local Lake Nacimiento Real Estate Expert
Oak Shores Realty
Oak Shores Realty specializes in Oak Shores at Lake Nacimiento properties. Please contact us today to get more information on Lake Nacimiento lake homes. Oak Shores Realty can also provide you an insiders “Lake Nacimiento Buying Guide” with great information including maps and market information.
Please let us know how we can help!