Personal Moving Coach
The Move Advocate is a free moving assistance program that provides a moving coach to coordinate your entire move. Your moving coach will save you time and money while reducing the stress of your move.
Your personal moving coach will:
- Arrange for and review multiple van line estimates with you
- Guide you through the entire move process
- Provide pre and post move support and advocacy
Move Advocate benefits include:
- Automatic VIP status
- Discounted national moving rates
- Free protection coverage up to $75,000 on state-to-state moves with no deductible
- Multiple estimates provided at no cost and no obligation
- Only the “Best in Class” movers
Click here to download the full flyer!
Moving Tips: Your Guide to a Successful Move!
6-8 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Contact the Move Advocate to begin the quote process for the movement of your household goods.
- Determine which items you wish to take to your new residence. Items that you don’t need should either be donated to charity or sold at a garage sale.
- If you plan on packing your own items, start collecting suitable packing supplies.
- Create a floor plan for the new residence that will ease the stress of making decisions once the
- Now is the best time to make your travel arrangements (hotel, flights, car rental, etc.).
- Keep all receipts for moving related expenses in a designated moving folder. Many moving
expenses are tax deductible.
- Insurance, medical and dental records should be placed in a safe, accessible place. Also include prescription and vaccination records. Plan on taking all vital documents such as: wills, stock certificates and other one-of-a kind items (jewelry, coin collection, photos, etc.) separately.
4-5 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Contact your personal Moving Coach and schedule your move date – it is always easier to
change your move date than to schedule at the last second.
- Fill out a U.S. Postal change of address form.
- Close any local charge accounts. Since you will want to have your utilities still connected on moving day, arrange to have them disconnected after you are moved out.
- Take care of odds and ends. If necessary, arrange for a baby sitter on moving day. Also, remember to collect items that are being cleaned, stored or repaired.
2-3 Weeks Before Your Move:
- Do you have power? Call ahead to have utilities connected at your new home.
- Make final packing decisions. Start packing items you don’t use often.
- Clean and clear your home, including basements and attics.
- Call your bank to find out how to transfer your bank accounts. Each year people move without clearing out their safety deposit boxes. Don’t be another statistic. If you’ve hidden any valuables around the house, be sure to collect them before leaving.
- Dispose of flammable items such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, chemistry sets, aerosol cans, paint, ammunition and poisons such as weed killer.
- Drain all the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower and power tools to ensure safe transportation.
1 Week Before Your Move:
- This is the time to tie up any loose ends. Check through this guide to make sure you haven’t missed anything.
- Pack your suitcases and confirm your family’s travel arrangements (flights, hotel, rental cars, etc.). Try to keep your plans as flexible as possible in the event of a change of schedule.
- Contact your personal Moving Coach and make sure the movers have the address and phone number where you can be reached if you are not going directly to your new home.
- At least one day before moving, empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator and freezer. If necessary, prepare your stove to be moved. Try using baking soda to get rid of any odors.
Click here to download a printable Moving Tips flyer!