With Thanksgiving just around the corner, many of us are thinking about the festivities of the holiday season! Whether you live in Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch on Lake Nacimiento, gathering with friends, family and neighbors this Thursday will help get the holidays in full swing. As a Lake Nacimiento Real Estate agent, it’s fun to watch homes on Lake Nacimiento get decked out for the upcoming holiday parties, gatherings and events around our beautiful lake.
If you’re hosting a holiday party this year, you may be thinking of ways to get in the season’s spirit of giving back and creating a welcoming environment for your guests. A great way to do this is to give back to the environment and host an eco-friendly holiday party! You’ll feel great about your environmentally conscious approach to the holidays and it’s something your guests can take with them long after the party is over.
Here are nine great tips for hosting an eco-friendly holiday party:
1. Switch to Convection- Now, I don’t expect that you’ll run out and buy a new oven before your holiday party, but this is something to consider for the very near future! Switch from a conventional oven to a convection oven. The difference? A convection oven continually circulates heated air, which means food cooks more quickly and reduces energy usage by 20%! Imagine being able to prepare food faster and save on energy- all from one appliance!
2. Cloth Napkins- These “things of the past” are making a comeback! The average American will use around 2,200 paper napkins per year- which are never recycled! Using cloth napkins will cut down drastically on waste and will make any event feel more special.
3. Buy Local- Shopping locally from farmers and other various growers for ingredients for your holiday party (or any time!) is a great way to cut down on our carbon footprint as well as help support sustainable growing in the Lake Nacimiento surrounding communities.
4. Reusable Towels- When cleaning up after your holiday party; be sure to use reusable towels instead of paper towels. Microfiber towels will hold on to dust, dirt and food particles since the fibers act like a magnet. After cleanup, throw them in the wash and you’ll be able to reuse them over and over!
5. Nix the Microwave- As much as possible, reheat or cook items in the oven or on the stove. Certain plastics can produce harmful fumes when put in the microwave and, while not overtly harmful, microwaves do leak radiation. It’s just better for your health and for the environment to use other options as often as you can!
6. Glass Containers- Storing leftovers or dried foods in glass containers with lids are much safer than the plastic alternative. When heated, certain plastics can break down and put chemicals into your food. Learn more about harmful and safe plastics.
7. Chill Out- Be sure to put a pitcher of water in your fridge at least an hour before your party to ensure it’s completely chilled. Those that prefer water won’t have to stand at your sink and let the water run until it gets cold. The average kitchen faucet flows at a gallon per minute! Thinking ahead can help to chill water before will reduce the waste that a running faucet will produce!
8. No-Cook Dishes- Save energy and give your oven a rest by preparing dishes that don’t have to be cooked. Think: salads, fruit dishes, veggie dips, yogurts and much more! You’ll find yourself being more creative and spending less time in the kitchen!
9. Fill the Dishwasher- To avoid wasting water and energy, be sure to have a full load each time you use your dishwasher. Surprisingly, new energy efficient dishwasher can be more eco-friendly than washing dishes by hand! Be sure to air dry and skip the pre-rinse cycle as most newer models are effective enough to get your dishes clean without the added step!
While there are many ways to go green for your Lake Nacimiento gathering, these tips should help point you in the right direction! As a Lake Nacimiento Real Estate agent, I enjoy working in such an eco-friendly environment and hope this post inspires you to do your part!
As always, I’m here to answer any questions you have about the Lake Nacimiento lifestyle or about buying or selling a home in Lake Nacimiento. Feel free to contact me anytime to discuss your real estate needs!
Your Local Lake Nacimiento Real Estate Expert
Oak Shores Realty
Oak Shores Realty specializes in Oak Shores at Lake Nacimiento properties. Please contact us today to get more information on Lake Nacimiento lake homes. Oak Shores Realty can also provide you an insiders “Lake Nacimiento Buying Guide” with great information including maps and market information.
Please let us know how we can help!