As the weather continues to get warmer, and new plants and life springs up around us, it’s a good time to consider the needs of your Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch home. While our winters here on California’s Central Coast are mild, it’s a good idea to kick off the spring with fresh updates to ensure your home is ready for the fun spring and summer seasons ahead!
My goal as a Lake Nacimiento Real Estate agent isn’t just to bring you current real estate market news and advice, but to ensure you’re getting the most out of your home and the Lake Nacimiento lifestyle. Below are six tips that will help you prep your Lake Nacimiento home for spring and summer. Take a look!
1. Change Your Filters– This is a must for your home each year. Keeping a fresh filter will ensure you don’t run into any major issues with your heating and cooling system in the future.
2. Test your cooling system– Before the summer heat gets uncomfortable; you’ll want to make sure your air conditioning is working properly. If it’s not running correctly or not getting cool enough, you’ll need to put a request in for a mechanic; so don’t delay! Heating and cooling mechanics find hot summer months to be their busiest season. Looking for a way to save? Fans and opening your windows for that fresh lake air may be just the trick! Just make sure your screens are free from holes so you don’t have unwanted insects in your home.
3. Driveways & Walkways– Now is a great time to repair any issues with your driveway or walkway. If you’re expecting guests this summer or you’re considering selling your Lake Nacimiento home; these little details can set the tone for the rest of your home. Investing in shrubbery, potted plants and mulch is another great way to keep your driveway and walkway looking well maintained.
4. Awnings & Umbrellas– Thinking of getting your awnings and umbrellas ready for summer use? Hose everything down thoroughly and use a mild soap, if necessary. Check to see if your umbrella cover is machine washable. After sitting in a garage during the cooler months, you want to make sure everything is fresh and ready to go!
5. Decks & Porches– Sweep the floors of all areas throughout and remove cobwebs from light fixtures, ceilings, and railings. Once the area is clear, check for holes, splintered wood, loose nails, and replace anything that may be damaged. It is also a good idea to seal the deck with a water-proofing sealer that also has a UV protectant.
6. Outdoor Furniture– While, outdoor furniture is made to withstand many of the elements; it’s not indestructible. When the outdoor season is over, all outdoor furniture should be covered with a waterproof canvas or tarp, or it can be stored in a garage or shed. Weekly cleaning and routine washes with a hose will make your outdoor furniture last much longer.
If you’re as excited about the upcoming outdoor season as much as I am; you’ve probably already taken care of some of these items! If not, doing them now will mean you won’t have to worry about them later when you’d rather be relaxing and enjoying Lake Nacimiento! Here are a few local services to help!
- Service air conditioning:
Chaparral Heating and Cooling, 805-239-3545
- Mid State Roofing:
Get those roof repairs done now, Wade 805-462-9545
- Whit’s Tree Service:
For tree trimming and brush clearing, 805-458-5368
- Handyman items:
Larry Munro-licensed contractor 805-610-0711
- Order wood for BBQUE or Fireplace.
Larry Munro 805-610-0711
- Check your plumbing for leaks.
South County Plumbing –Dave 805-472-2173
- Pest Control, House and Gutter Cleanin
- Repair holes in screens and adjust screen doors if not sliding properly:
King City Glass 831-385-3295 or www.kingcityglass.com
- Clean windows:
Michael’s Windows 805-466-1812
- Clean barbeque and fill propane tanks:
Propane at Oak Hills Market
- Carpet cleaning
North County Carpet 805-239-9355
- Power wash decks and/or stain if needed. Home repairs and Painting:
- Service your Boat
JR’s Boat Repair 805-239-5619 and 805-459-8030 (cell)
- Satellite TV
Reactivate if you have deactivated service for winter. Check batteries in your remotes!
- Check fire extinguishers.
- Stock candles, flashlights and fresh batteries for those occasional power outages.
- Check smoke alarms and change batteries. You are now required to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Check condition of garbage cans and wash them. Make sure you have ammonia and bungee cords on hand!
- Don’t forget to have your lot weed abated by the June 10th deadline, we will send out weed whacker list via the Lake Naci news later this year!
- Buy your Monterey County lake permit:
Have your personal mailing info, CF number (4 numbers and 2 letters) and a Visa or MasterCard ready ($100). Call this number from 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday: 805-472-2311.
- Get your OSCA 2013 stickers on now. Avoid the long holiday lines at the gate!
If you don’t currently own a home on Lake Nacimiento and are interested in learning more about the Lake Nacimiento Real Estate market; please let me know! I’d be happy to answer your questions and show you some of the homes currently available in Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch!
Your Local Lake Nacimiento Real Estate Expert
Oak Shores Realty
Oak Shores Realty specializes in Oak Shores at Lake Nacimiento properties. Please contact us today to get more information on Lake Nacimiento lake homes. Oak Shores Realty can also provide you an insiders “Lake Nacimiento Buying Guide” with great information including maps and market information.
Please let us know how we can help!