As many of you may know, Earth Day is just around the corner and with the beautiful surroundings on Lake Nacimiento; we enjoy celebrating our eco-friendly environment. Of course you can celebrate on April 22 by taking a nature hike around Lake Nacimiento, or spending time boating or fishing out on its serene waters. You can even take in the breathtaking views from your Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch home. But, what would a Central California celebration be without a little local wine to enhance the mood!
The 6th annual Earth Day Food & Wine Festival will be taking place next weekend- Friday, April 20 through Sunday, April 22- and will be highlighting the best of the Central Coast! The main event will take place on Saturday with a Food & Wine Tasting at Pomar Junction Vineyard & Winery. Over 200 food and wine purveyors will showcase sustainably produced foods and perfect wine pairings. You’ll be sure to get a taste of the most amazing flavors of the area! Dancing, live music and much more will top off this celebratory weekend; making this a festival you won’t want to miss! Check out more information on the Earth Day Food & Wine Festival website. https://www.earthdayfoodandwine.com/
If you aren’t able to get out to the festival, there are other ways you can enjoy Earth Day and even promote a healthy, eco-friendly environment in your own Lake Nacimiento home. Take a look at these simple ways to go green!
1. Close your windows– It may seem counterintuitive, but opening the windows will often make your Lake Nacimiento home warmer, not cooler. Open your windows at night if the air outside is cooler than inside, and close them (along with blinds and shades) before the sun hits your house in the morning. When night falls, open windows wide, particularly those oriented toward prevailing winds so you can take advantage of cross ventilation. You may also put houseplants in front of sunny windows to absorb some of the sun’s energy.
2. Use fans strategically- Using ceiling fans or stand alone fans can create a nice breeze in a room and help keep you cool. If you’re using ceiling fans, make sure it’s running in the right direction, so that in the summer the breeze is blowing down, not up. Remember to turn fans off when you leave a room since they are made to keep people cool, and are not made to cool an entire room. If you’re buying a new fan, buy an Energy Star fan which will use 50% less energy than other models!
3. Cook (or don’t cook) a cool meal– Just as drinking an ice cold lemonade cools your body, eating cold food helps keep your internal temperature lower on a hot day. If you do cook, use the grill or the microwave, or else you’ll heat up your kitchen from using the oven and stove. And remember, kitchen appliances aren’t the only devices that give off heat; limiting your use of electronics will help keep your spaces cooler.
4. Shut off the lights– While modern lightning, like compact fluorescents and LEDs, are more efficient, incandescent light bulbs can produce as much heat as they do light. Energy Star-rated light bulbs produce 75% less heat, so consider that when replacing bulbs. It’s always a good idea to shut off lights to save energy, it makes a big difference on hot sunny summer days.
5. Plant a tree (or two or three) strategically– Your Lake Nacimiento home may get hot because the sun beats down on it relentlessly on hot summer days. Let nature help reduce your energy bills by planting deciduous trees on the east and west sides of your home; in the summer, their broad leaves will shade your house. Also consider planting trees or shrubs to shade high-heat areas – air conditioning units that emit heat, for instance, and driveways and walkways that absorb it.
I hope whether you plan on going to the festival or are planning on celebrating Earth Day here on Lake Nacimiento; these tips inspire you to do your part in caring for our planet! As a Lake Nacimiento Real Estate agent, I enjoy helping people find the home of their dreams in Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch as well as promoting the great lifestyle that Lake Nacimiento has to offer.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Lake Nacimiento Real Estate market or are ready to being your home search; please let me know! I would love to talk with you and help you achieve your real estate goals!
I look forward to hearing from you!
Your Local Lake Nacimiento Real Estate Expert
Oak Shores Realty
Oak Shores Realty specializes in Oak Shores at Lake Nacimiento properties. Please contact us today to get more information on Lake Nacimiento lake homes. Oak Shores Realty can also provide you an insiders “Lake Nacimiento Buying Guide” with great information including maps and market information.
Please let us know how we can help!