Summer on Lake Nacimiento is a great time of year, and with the upcoming 4th of July celebration; you’ll noticean abundance of people enjoying the lake! This coming weekend, Lake Nacimiento will be lively with boating, skiing, swimming and those just wanting to hang out on the shores of Lake Nacimiento. If you’ve been a resident of Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch for a few years, you’ve experienced this fun-filled weekend that draws many to Lake Nacimiento.
While getting together with family and friends is an ideal way to take in the 4th of July festivities on Lake Nacimiento; lake safety still needs to be on the top of our list! Here are 10 lake safety tips that you’ll want to review before the busy 4th of July weekend begins!
10 Lake Safety Tips:
1. Supervision – Never turn your back on your child around water. It takes just seconds for a child to be in serious trouble. If you have children swimming in Lake Nacimiento; it’s important to have at least one adult watching them at all times. Segment the supervision responsibilities so there are never questions about which adult is “on duty”.
2. Bright Colors – Dress your child in bright colors when going to the lake or a more crowded area around Lake Nacimiento. Use a bright color so all family members have a consistent image of what the child is wearing.
3. Pictures – When venturing out to any of the activities on or around Lake Nacimiento; make sure you have a recent picture of each child in your group. This way, if one of the children wanders off, you have a reference to show people when asking about the child.
4. Cell Phones – Your cell phone is VERY important. You may want to protect it from the water by putting it in plastic bag, but make sure you always have it on you and completely charged.
5. Survival Swimming – Before the children begin swimming in Lake Nacimiento, be sure to go over the basic survival tips in case they were to go unnoticed in the lake and need help. Go through treading water techniques and a system of signaling for help if they find themselves in trouble. It may be a good idea to attach a whistle to a bracelet for each child to wear in the water. Self-Rescue swimming is an added layer of protection.
6. Dock Safety – Have a hook, rope and throw ring attached to the dock that can be used at a moments notice. Teach and practice their use and make sure each child understand the importance of using them only in times of emergency and not as a toy.
7. Rope off a wading/swimming area – Begin at the shore and extend a rope out to a depth of your choice. Allow your children to swim off of the shore ONLY in this area. It reduces where you might have to search, and provides a safe limit that makes everyone more comfortable.
8. Go no further line – Paint a ‘go no further line’ 2.5 feet in from all edges of the dock. Teach young children to hold an adult’s hand between that line and the edge of the dock.
9. Life Jackets – Life jackets must be worn in a boat at all times and around the water for children who don’t know how to swim. However, life jackets are not a substitute for adult supervision. When picking out a life jacket, please read the warning labels as some of them will not float a child face-up, and make sure the life jacket fits the child well.
10. Floaties – Flotation devices such as floaties, inflatable rings, etc., can often times provide a false sense of security for parents and children. These items can easily deflate or fall off your child’s arm leaving them in a potentially dangerous situation. While these are fun to play with and use, make sure you’re still taking every precaution for safety by watching your child.
I hope these tips will be a great refresher for you as you think about spending time out on Lake Nacimiento this 4th of July weekend and the rest of the summer! It’s easy to get distracted with all the festivities and people around, but safety still needs to remain a number one priority! We all want to enjoy a safe and happy summer on our favorite lake!
If you are visiting Lake Nacimiento this weekend because you’ve been considering buying a home on Lake Nacimiento; I would love to hear from you! I know that buying a vacation home is a big decision and I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the Lake Nacimiento Real Estate market. There are many great lakefront homes in Oak Shores or Heritage Ranch from which to choose and I’d enjoy the opportunity to help you find a home that fits your needs and lifestyle. Feel free to contact me anytime to get started!
Your Local Lake Nacimiento Real Estate Expert
Oak Shores Realty
Oak Shores Real Estate
View Oak Shores Listings
Visit My Website
Oak Shores Realty specializes in Oak Shores at Lake Nacimiento properties. Please contact us today to get more information on Lake Nacimiento lake homes. Oak Shores Realty can also provide you an insiders “Lake Nacimiento Buying Guide” with great information including maps and market information.
Please let us know how we can help!