As a Lake Nacimiento home seller, it’s very exciting when you find a buyer for your home and accept their offer! But the home-selling process isn’t over yet. Before you get paid, you’ll have to go through the closing process. As your Lake Nacimiento real estate agent, allow me to fill you in on some tips to make sure this final step goes smoothly.
Most buyers will request a final walk-through within 24 hours of settlement, to make sure that everything is in order and as negotiated. Here’s what you can do to assure that no issues arise during the walk-through:
1. Empty the house. Unless you have a contingency that allows you to live in the house longer, make sure all of your stuff is moved out and nothing is left but what you discussed with the buyer. If you included a few appliances with the sale, make sure those are in the house, clean, empty and ready to be used.
2. Clean the house. You want the house to look spotless during the walk-through. After moving your stuff out, give the house one last dusting, vacuuming and wipe down.
3. Leave any manuals or warranties you may have for house appliances, water heaters, etc. This will make life easier for the new buyer. If you have any contractors you’ve been working with for years, feel free to leave their contact information.
4. Do a final walk-through yourself and make sure you haven’t left anything of yours.
5. Lock up, because until the closing is complete, you’re still responsible for the home. Leave a porch light on or set an alarm to be extra cautious.
If any issues come up during the final walk-through, you’ll be notified immediately by your listing agent, and the closing may get delayed while you solve the issue or renegotiate terms.
Once closing day arrives, you, the seller, will be responsible for certain closing costs. Typically, the buyer and seller each pay part of the closing costs, but this depends on the contingencies agreed upon.
Closing costs could consist of a percentage of the home’s sale price, the commission for the listing agent and buyer’s agent, unpaid homeowner association dues, transfer taxes and more. Be sure that you are prepared to pay for them!
Bring to the closing:
1. A government-issued photo ID
2. A copy of the ratified sales contract
3. Anything that goes with the house: Keys to the house, pool keys, gate keys, mailbox keys, garage remotes, security codes, etc.
4. The money for the closing costs, usually in the form of a cashier’s check or proof of wire transfer.
If all goes smoothly after the closing, you’ll want to transfer utility bills over to the new owner right away, and change your address. Then it’s time to celebrate! If you have questions about any of this, feel free to contact us.
Your Local Lake Nacimiento Real Estate Expert
Oak Shores Realty
Oak Shores Realty specializes in Oak Shores at Lake Nacimiento properties. Please contact us today to get more information on Lake Nacimiento lake homes. Oak Shores Realty can also provide you an insiders “Lake Nacimiento Buying Guide” with great information including maps and market information.